Saturday, November 2, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...rocker via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...



rocker

[rok-er] noun 

1. Also called runner. one of the curved pieces on which a cradle or a rocking chair, rocks.
2. rocking chair.
3. a rock-'n'-roll song: She sang a ballad and followed that with two of her well-known rockers.
4. any of various devices that operate with a rocking motion.
5. Graphic Arts. a small steel plate with one curved and toothed edge for roughening a copperplate to make a mezzotint.
6. Mining. cradle ( def 13 ).
7. an ice skate that has a curved blade.
8. a performer or fan of rock music. 

Idioms
9. off one's rocker, Slang. insane; crazy: You're off your rocker if you think I'm going to climb that mountain. 

Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English: one who rocks a cradle; see rock2 , -er1

0 comments:

Post a Comment