Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Getting technical with the undead... Highway to the Zombie Zone by @J_Ryan #DeadNewWorld



Today's post brought to you by our very own Ryan Hill--author of zombies, snarky demons, and awesomeness. Take it away, Ryan!

Everybody has a zombie story. At least, that’s kind of what it seems like. Anyone familiar with Definition House knows I’ve got mine: Dead New World, the first in what I hope will be a trilogy o terror. But why write a zombie novel? Are there not enough zombie tales out there?

Well…yes and no.

There are a lot of zombie stories in the marketplace. But hopefully not like Dead New World. I love zombie lore. World War Z (the book) is a classic and stands as the best the genre has to offer. Why they didn’t make a 13 episode HBO miniseries instead of a merely decent Brad Pitt flick boggles my mind. The Walking Dead is a lot of fun, focusing more on the survivors than the z-heads. Rot & Ruin is an enjoyable read. But I wanted a little more from my zombies, and the kernel for Dead New World was created.

With Dead New World, I decided to dig a little deeper. Sure, I wanted action and zombie destruction on a massive scale (think Black Hawk Down), but the dead meat seemed very…one dimensional. Kind of an obvious statement because they’re just dead people walking around trying to eat brains, I know. But riddle me this, Batman.
 

Why are zombies either slow or fast? Why can’t there be both?

Rigor mortis wears off after a while. Once that happens, wouldn’t an older zombie, free of the ‘mortis regain some quickness? In Dead New World, I wanted to explore zombies in a way never seen before. So, not only do you get slow zombies, you get fast ones, moving side by side. You even get suicide bomber zombies and hand-to-hand human-zombie combat.

You’re welcome.
 

Zombies are usually referred to as being infected. Well… no virus is 100% lethal.

This was the major catalyst behind Dead New World. I mean, aside from the massive action and wanting to tell a kick-ass story. I haven’t read or seen every zombie book/movie/TV show out there, but I’ve never seen someone get bit and survive. Okay, that was a lie. I just remembered 28 Weeks Later has a survivor or two, but that film doesn’t explore life for that survivor. I wanted to see what it would be like to be infected with the virus, but still roam around with the living. That fascinated me.
 

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the Earth."
 
A lot of characters, mainly the guy who says the above quote in George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, try to tie religion into zombie mythology. Well, what if there was something to that? I’m not the most religious person in the world, but the opportunity to dig a little deeper into this helped make creating Dead New World that much more enticing.

Make no mistake. Dead New World is first and foremost a balls-to-the-wall zombie actioner. At least that’s my intention with it. Yes, adding a few layers may give my zombie novel a little more brains (pun intended), but mostly it's about coming-of-age in a world where most of the things walking around want to eat your brains.


****

We begin our very first Kickstarter campaign later this week! We are so looking forward to sharing Dead New World by our author Ryan Hill! Check out the book trailer, and give us a thumbs up if you like it. It'll make our day. :) Thank you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment