Sunday, October 6, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...cacophony via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...



cacophony 


[kuh-kof-uh-nee]

noun, plural ca·coph·o·nies. 

1. Harsh discordance of sound; dissonance: a cacophony of hoots, cackles, and wails.
2. A discordant and meaningless mixture of sounds: the cacophony produced by city traffic at midday.
3. Music. frequent use of discords of a harshness and relationship difficult to understand. 

Origin:
1650–60; < Neo-Latin cacophonia < Greek kakophōnía. See caco-, -phony


0 comments:

Post a Comment