Saturday, October 5, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...maelstrom via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...




maelstrom

[meyl-struhm]
 
noun
1. A large, powerful, or violent whirlpool.
2. A restless, disordered, or tumultuous state of affairs: the maelstrom of early morning traffic.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a famous hazardous whirlpool off the NW coast of Norway.

Origin:
1550–60 for def 3; < early Dutch maelstroom, now spelling maalstroom, representing mal ( en ) to grind + stroom stream. See meal2 , stream

Synonyms
tumult, pandemonium, bedlam. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment