Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...platitude via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...



plat·i·tude 

[plat-i-tood, -tyood] noun

1. a flat, dull, or trite remark, especially one uttered as if it were fresh or profound.
2. the quality or state of being flat, dull, or trite: the platitude of most political oratory. 


Origin:
1805–15; < French: literally, flatness, equivalent to plat flat (see plate1 ) + -itude, as in French latitude, altitude, magnitude, etc.

Can be confused: platitude, plaudit.

Synonyms
1. cliché, truism. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment