Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...lavish via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...



lav·ish
[lav-ish] adjective 

1. expended, bestowed, or occurring in profusion: lavish spending.
2. using or giving in great amounts; prodigal (often followed by of): lavish of his time; lavish of affection.
verb (used with object)
3. to expend or give in great amounts or without limit: to lavish gifts on a person. 

Origin:
1425–75; late Middle English lavas profusion (noun), profuse (adj.) < Middle French lavasse downpour of rain, derivative of laver to wash < Latin lavāre
Related forms
lav·ish·er, noun
lav·ish·ly, adverb
lav·ish·ness, noun
o·ver·lav·ish, adjective
o·ver·lav·ish·ly, adverb 


0 comments:

Post a Comment