Saturday, September 21, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...wheedle via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...

 
wheedle

[hweed-l, weed-l] verb, whee·dled, whee·dling.

verb (used with object)

1. To endeavor to influence (a person) by smooth, flattering, or beguiling words or acts: We wheedled him incessantly, but he would not consent.

2. To persuade (a person) by such words or acts: She wheedled him into going with her.

3. To obtain (something) by artful persuasions: I wheedled a new car out of my father.

verb (used without object)

4. To use beguiling or artful persuasions: I always wheedle if I really need something.

Origin:

1655–65; origin uncertain

Related forms

whee·dler, noun

whee·dling·ly, adverbun·whee·dled, adjective

0 comments:

Post a Comment