Monday, September 16, 2013

Today's #DailyDefinition brought to you by the word...alluvium via @DefinitionHouse


Words. Everywhere. They surround me, meld to my bones, and comfort me. Suddenly, they’re gone. There is no text, only white…stark, blankness. Their absence leaves me longing, needing more. Always more. Then, it appears on the horizon of the page, and I succumb to my...


alluvium

[uh-loo-vee-uhm]

noun, plural al·lu·vi·ums, al·lu·vi·a [uh-loo-vee-uh]

1. A deposit of sand, mud, etc., formed by flowing water.

2. The sedimentary matter deposited thus within recent times, especially in the valleys of large rivers.

Origin:

1655–65; < Latin, noun use of neuter of alluvius washed against, equivalent to alluv- (see alluvion) + -ius, -ium adj. suffix; see -ium

0 comments:

Post a Comment